Over the course of my career both as a leader and as a coach the main issues I have heard people deal with in the workplace is other people! To the point I have often heard the comment, “my job would be so much easier if I didn’t have to work with others”. Unlike our friends, whom we choose, we don’t have the luxury of nominating who our colleagues will be and instead we get thrown into a big pot of different personalities where we find ourselves having to navigate how to work with people who seem so very different to ourselves.
What if we could find a way to develop a greater understanding of our team mates, those we work with as peers and those we manage and lead. Personality profile tools such as DiSC can do just that. DiSC is a personality assessment tool used by millions of people globally to help improve teamwork, self awareness, communication and productivity in the workplace. The assessment’s key benefit is that it creates a common language and a self awareness to better understand ourselves and others. The best thing though is its simplicity and cost effectiveness.
What does DiSC measure?
DiSC measures dimensions of an individual’s personality. It does not measure intelligence, aptitude, mental health, or values. DiSC profiles describe human behaviour in various situations, for example how an individual responds to challenges, their influence on others, the preferred pace of work, and how rules and procedures are responded to. It measures tendencies and preferences, or patterns of behaviour, with no judgment regarding value or alignment with a skill set or job classification. DiSC is a tool for dialogue, not diagnosis.
There are four main personality profiles & behavioural styles described in the DiSC model: The acronyms for DiSC are (D)ominance, (I)nlfuence, (S)teadiness and (C)conscientiousness.
People with D personalities tend to be confident and place an emphasis on accomplishing bottom-line results.
People with i personalities tend to be more open and place an emphasis on relationships and influencing or persuading others.
People with S personalities tend to be dependable and place the emphasis on cooperation and sincerity.
People with C personalities tend to place the emphasis on quality, accuracy, expertise, and competency.
The assessment to determine the profile is an easy exercise which requires the participant to complete a simple survey either from an online or paper-based version. Assessment results are almost immediately generated.
Why leaders should invest in DiSC
Regardless of the size of your business or the number of employees you have there are multiple reasons & benefits for investing in DiSC.
- Identify behavioural tendencies and preferences
- Recognise how behaviour affects others
- Discuss and raise the awareness of the value of individual differences
- Learn techniques to maximise strengths and reduce conflict
- Improve communication
- Increase understanding and empathy of team members
- Identification and utilisation of personal strengths & self awareness
- Greater management of conflict and stress
- Improved employee moral
- Increased leadership effectiveness
- Increased productivity
Small investment for huge results
Investing into DiSC generates invaluable return for organisations when adopted in various ways.
- Better On Boarding: You can use DiSC for new hires to assess how they will fit into the team. After an offer has been made and accepted the test results can be used to determine how the new hire will interact with the existing team. Assessment results can determine how orientation and training can be approached to ensure the new team members are getting the most of the process.
- Team Building : The DiSC profile informs users how different styles interact with one another. This means you can use the results of the test to build teams who work well together and avoid costly personality conflicts.
- Motivational Tool: Once you know each of your employees dominant personality traits you can also customise your motivational processes to tap into their own specific strengths. For example, an employee’s DiSC results that demonstrate conscientiousness will be eager to maintain both quality and accuracy in their work. Play into this and motivate them accordingly by aligning their goals and KPI’s within thier performance plans.
A powerful coaching tool
DiSC is a powerful coaching tool. It helps individuals understand themselves, learn strategies to improve interaction with others and achieve higher workplace satisfaction and results. The profile offers insight into the most productive behaviours which the entire organisation will benefit from.
If you would like to conduct DiSC profiling as a simple assessment or as a team workshop we are here to help: